Croque Madame and Monsieur. A croque monsieur (French pronunciation: [kʁɔk məsjø]) is a hot sandwich made with ham and cheese. The dish originated in French cafés and bars as a quick snack. The name is based on the verb croquer ("to bite, to crunch") and the word monsieur ("mister").
Toasting Bread For my bread loaf recipe, watch: Whole Wheat Pain de Mie Recipe Video. *Croque monsieur can be made without sauce. When we lived in Los Angeles, my husband and I used to frequent this bustling little French bakery on the West side. It's called La Dijonaise and they make a croque madame (and monsieur!) that's so good it will make your croissant-loving head spin. You can have Croque Madame and Monsieur using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Croque Madame and Monsieur
- Prepare 8 of x slices of granary bread cut into discs.
- You need 4 of x thin slices of ham.
- You need 2 of x tbsp cold bechamel sauce.
- You need 2 of x tsp dijon mustard.
- Prepare 150 g of grated Gruyere cheese.
- Prepare 2 of x quail eggs.
- You need 50 g of melted butter.
A vos fourchettes, le croque-monsieur revient accompagné du croque madame et de leurs nombreuses variantes. Toute une gamme de recettes de délicieux sandwichs à base de pain toasté, qu'on sert avec une salade en guise de repas. Des idées de plats inspirants et tellement facilles. The famous French croque monsieur and Croque madame story.
Croque Madame and Monsieur instructions
- Brush the bread discs with melted butter and bake at 180c for around 10 minutes or until toasted but not all the way crispy. Smear mustard onto 4 of the discs, then spread béchamel.
- Sit ham onto the béchamel and then sprinkle the cheese, spread dijon on the other 4 toast rounds and top those with a more generous amount of béchamel, sit those sauce side up on top of the 4 already covered toasts.
- Top all with remaining cheese and bake at 180c until crispy about 10/15 minutes, while baking pan fry 2 quail eggs..
- Finish the croque madame by sitting a fried egg onto, of course the traditional dish is made with a regular sized sandwich with a regular hens egg, so feel free to size up but I just love the way these look made nibble sized, either way they are seriously lush me babbers. Please check out the entire video from my Youtube channel here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDO6POAnMb4.
Croque Monsieur is the French version of a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. It's a classic dish that's both easy and delicious because, like many Both are very similar ham and cheese sandwiches but a croque madame is also topped with a fried egg. The French word croque is based on the verb. Croque-monsieur is, very simply, a grilled ham and cheese; the easy addition of a fried egg on top transforms it into a croque-madame. There are many different versions of this classic French fast food, including smothering the final product with cheesy mornay sauce.