Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel. See great recipes for Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel too! Before starting this Croque Monsieur with Béchamel Sauce recipe, make sure you have organised all the necessary ingredients. On a slice of white bread, place a slice of Emmental cheese.
So it's no wonder that the sandwich of ham and cheese smothered in béchamel sauce that the French call a Croque Monsieur* is so damn delicious. To be honest, a croque monsieur is probably best eaten while seated at a Parisian café reading Sartre and smoking a Gitane cigarette. The names croque monsieur and croque madame translate to "mister" and "mistress" crunch. You can cook Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel
- You need of Bread (any kind).
- It's of .
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- It's of Cardamom seeds.
- Prepare of Ham (preferably not smoked).
- It's of Grated Cheese (anything can do but emmental is recommended).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of flour.
Lay all of your bread slices on the counter and spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce on each slice. The croque monsieur -- literally "mister crunch" -- is at the elegant end of the grilled cheese spectrum. Croque Monsieur is in many ways the perfect French grilled cheese sandwich. You can cook it on a griddle if you want, but I like to make mine in the oven because it seems like less work.
Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel step by step
- Preheat your oven to 175 Celsius. Slice the bread. You can also use sliced bread or bread that has gone hard since the béchamel will soften it..
- In a pot at medium head, add the milk, flour, cardamom seeds, salt and pepper. Slowly heat carefully until mixture has changed to a thicker consistency..
- Place bread on an oven proof dish and pour béchamel on top. Add ham and the cheese and cook for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has completely melted..
Here's the basic run-down on how to make the perfect Croque Monsieur: Make the Bechamel sauce (more about this in a moment). Spoon a thin layer of the bechamel on top of the ham. Divide the Gruyere evenly among the sandwiches and season with pepper. We went all out with our new Croque Monsieur; it's a triple cheese threat made with Fontina in the sandwich, Parmesan in the bechamel sauce, and grated Gruyere on top. For a Croque Madame, top each sandwich with a fried egg.